Thursday, April 7, 2011

Bee Installation at the Farm

We picked up the bees yesterday after their long journey up from NC. They were mine! I have been very nervous about this day but once they were in my hands I strangely felt at ease with how docile they seemed.  It was about 50 degrees F so maybe they were just cold. They were huddled around the queens cage to keep her warm.  There were half a dozen bees on the outside but not moving.  I put them in a wine bucket and drove them home.


Once home, I dusted the outside of the package with powdered sugar to give them a little something.  With 3 little ones under foot I waited for my husband to come home before I took them out to the new langstroth hive that we built and painted. At the site we leveled a pallet and set up. The little ones and planted bee attracting flower seed in a wild flower patch in front.

By the evening, the bees had consumed the powdered sugar I gave them so I dusted the entire package and went out to the site prepared for them.

This is what followed. It was lightly raining so once placed the queen in and shook the package in I set an empty super on top so the bees could move in from the package. Normally you would set the package in front of the entrance and let them bee... but it was lightly raining. I will remove the package box and the queens cage in the next couple of days and see if the queen and workers have set to work. I am definitely nervous that I messed something up!

No comments:

Post a Comment